Sunday, August 3, 2014

Jack (Chapter 11)

The path leaving the Perry house is quiet and free from incident as I leave.  Chaos was instructed to stay behind to help with the dishes.  His disappointment was quickly changed when he was asked to talk about the alligator we saw.  I took the cue and slipped out the front door with a nod to Harmony.  Her bright eyes smiled in return.

As I reach the road I see another new face.  He is a sturdy man with the darkest skin I've ever seen.  I stop, stunned by something about him.  I can't tell if it's the size of the man, the shininess of his skin, or the glowing contrast of his teeth.  He is singing as he walks which causes his strut to look like dancing. 

He notices me at the same time I notice that I'm staring.  Starburst, I have no idea how to recover.

He grins out of the left side of his mouth.  "Didn't realize I had an audience..." He starts toward me. "I would have sung more loudly and brought you in on the harmony."  His grin covers his whole face.  He isn't quite as tall as I expected but I still wonder how to react.  He extends his hand, "My name is Jory.  You must be Jack."

I place my hand in his and nod.

"I've heard a lot about you from Valerie.  She's a sweet girl."

I release my hand and nod again, still uncertain of how to react.  Jory is kind and doesn't leave much of a break for me to fill.  He notices I'm not responding and continues, "She's back at my house where we have the van.  Come on.  I'll show you."

He leads the way and I notice he struts a little even when he isn't singing.  He continues talking casually about the van and what's wrong with it.  The only part that really stands out is that it has something to do with the starter and it's going to take several days to get the right part back here.  I don't know if I'm frustrated or relieved.  I like it here so far but I know my boss is already pushed to his limit with me.  In spite of my demeanor, I still need a job.

We approach a small house.  The word house is generous.  I imagine it only has two rooms and a bath.  By rooms, I mean rooms in general, not just bedrooms.  The van is under a carport next to the house and is surrounded by four figures.

I'm introduced to Louis first, a pale jovial man with strawberry blonde hair.  I've never really understood that description for that hair color, but I won't go into that right now.  This is Harmony's husband and they are a perfect match.

Next, I'm introduced to Matthew.  Physically, he is an older version of Chaos.  His personality is the opposite.  He speaks little and listens intently.

Max is the most naturally beautiful woman I have ever seen.  Her golden wavy hair is pulled back in a ponytail.  Her face is perfectly symmetric.  Her eyes are almond shaped and her lips are bowed into a smile revealing beautifully straight teeth.  Her voice is sweet and matches her mother's.  Her eyes turn to pure admiration when she looks at Jory.  I'm jealous and awed. 

Then there is Valerie.

The conversation is light and polite.  I have to remind myself to look at everyone in the circle and actually listen and respond on occasion.  We mostly speak of the van and the days in between now and the time that it will be fixed.  The strangest part is that I notice the absence of Tillie.  I wish she were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment